Setting up a website can feel like a bottomless pit in the early days, and so the idea of spending money to drive traffic to your website may seem a bit daunting in the early days. First, let me stress that should you set a budget to bring traffic to your site this will be some of the best money you spend, since without traffic, you have no sales, and without sales, your website won’t make money. However, there’s some good news because there are some free traffic techniques you can take advantage of and bring more traffic to your website.
Passion and determination is what you need – how nice to have more traffic without spending any money. Let’s look at some of those methods.
Where to Start
One of the most popular and also most effective ways is to create a blog. You can create a lot of interest if your blog is interesting and engaging and you can use that to send traffic to your website Of course, if you want your blog to be successful you have to post regularly. If you are planning to post now and then whenever the urge arises, your blog will fail. People want to read regular posts.
Another good option is to get involved in some relevant forums and online communities. Most of these allow you to create a signature line with a link to your website. Make your signature line catchy so people want to click through. Ask some questions, answer some questions, and get involved in some conversations. In addition to building traffic, this is a great way to become recognized as an expert in your area.
Creating articles and submitting them to the many article banks online is yet another free traffic building tool you have available to you. This one has been around for ages, and while some think it has lost its power, nothing could be further from the truth.
The key is to keep your articles fresh and to not submit the same article to more than one article bank. If you don’t like to write or you don’t have time to write, not to worry there are many freelancers available to take this task over for you; however, that’s a service you’ll have to pay for.
That’s just a few free traffic building techniques that you can take advantage of. There are plenty of others, so why not put them to work for you and watch your traffic build.
Get Traffic to Your Website
There’s a misconception out there, that if you build a good website they will come. That the only thing you need to do to generate traffic is to design a good website. That’s simply not true. Getting traffic to your website requires some work on your part and you cannot expect it to happen overnight.
Think of it like this. If you build yourself a fantastic brick and mortar store but you stick it outside of town and you don’t tell anyone how to get to it, you’ll have a great store with no customers. The same goes for your website, if you build a fabulous site but don’t tell anyone where it is they won’t find you.
You need to advertise, and you need to use traffic building techniques that work. Here are some proven methods you should implement.
Check All Your Links
1. Make sure your site does not have any broken links. This is both annoying to visitors and to the search engines who will penalize you for these broken links.
Use Search Engines
2. Submit your website to as many search engines as possible. Some of the most popular include Google, Bing, MSN, Lycos, AltaVista, Alexa, DMOZZ, Ask, and ExactSeek. There are hundreds of others.
3. Make sure that you do your META TAGS correctly.
4. Submit your website to as many directories as possible. There are tons of them so take the time to find them.
Use Social Media
5. Take advantage of social bookmarking sites. When you get an entry it means that your site can be ranked and shared, making this a powerful tool.
6. Make sure that you use social networking. Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube, etc. are all powerful tools that can help you to build traffic to your site quickly and effectively, and for no cost. You’ll be able to engage your potential market, share promotions, do contests, and use a number of other marketing techniques that will drive traffic to your site.
7. You can also buy traffic for your site through the use of pay per click, pay per view, or pay per month. This type of targeted traffic can be costly but it can also be highly effective when used correctly. It’s a good idea to take a little time to really understand the workings of such types of programs so that you get the best value from your money.
Targeted traffic is the key to your site’s success because it is from this targeted traffic that your goal is to make your sales. So make sure you also have a solid close, once that traffic arrives on your site.